[Avodah] Menorah on Arch of Titus

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 26 08:59:25 PDT 2017

One of the arguments against the menorah on the Arch of Titus harasha
being The Menorah taken from the Heikhal is the base. It has an octoganol
base. If it even had three feet, they were short extensions of that base
that didn't show up in what's left of the relief. Maybe small balls. There
is no indication of any. Either way, 3 feet on an octagon lacks symmetry
-- 3 of 8 sides or corners had a foot? But the bigger problem is that
it has representational art on it. The Menorah would not have reliefs
of sea lions, hippocamps, dragons, eagles (their garland, maybe), etc...

(Of course then there's the whole curved arm vs alakhson thing, but
we've discussed that enough times before.)

Which is why I was surprised to see this quote from Josephus. I would
think it would be mandatory reading for any discussion of the subject,
but it was new to me.

So I'm sharing.

    But for those that were taken in the temple of Jerusalem, they
    made the greatest figure of them all; that is, the golden table,
    of the weight of many talents; the candlestick also, that was made
    of gold, though its construction were now changed from that which
    we made use of; for its middle shaft was fixed upon a basis, and the
    small branches were produced out of it to a great length, having the
    likeness of a trident in their position, and had every one a socket
    made of brass for a lamp at the tops of them. These lamps were in
    number seven, and represented the dignity of the number seven among
    the Jews; and the last of all the spoils, was carried the Law of
    the Jews ...
				     - Jewish War (VII.5.5)

I don't know if the basis is the change in construction or -- like the
branches -- just a description of the original. Brass neiros?

But it could be read as:
    the menorah also, that was made of gold (though its construction
    were now changed from that which we made use of, for its middle
    shaft was fixed upon a base), and the small branches were produced
    out of it to a great length...

Which would solve the above problems.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507