[Avodah] Maharat

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jun 12 22:57:21 PDT 2017

On 6/6/2017 8:18 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
 > Here might be a good place to detour and reply to RBW.
 >
 > Let's be honest, if pushed, they would admit that they mean "'kefirah'"
 > (in quotes), not "kefirah". E.g. were they worrying about whether DL
 > Jews handled their wine before bishul? Of course not!

However one defines the Chareidi opposition to Zionism and Zionists, the
former wrote book after book justifying it and explaining why Zionism is
so awful and why it is so wrong to participate in the Zionist
enterprise.  It is still going on today. Back in the 20s, people used
extremely strong language about Rav Kook, language which was much worse
than anything used today, not to mention what the Satmar Rebbe wrote
about RK.
 > There are two possible sources of division here.
 >
 > 1- A large change to the experience of observance, even if we were
 > only talking about trappings, will hit emotional opposition. My
 > predition is that shuls that vary that experience too far simply
 > de facto won't be visited by the vast majority of non-innovators,
 > and therefore in practice will be a separate community.
Here I have a couple of questions.

1) Like my wife always tells me, if someone is triggered by something he
has to ask himself why. I know people who would walk out of shul if a
woman gave the dvar Torah on Friday night. Yet the same people are
perfectly OK having a Rosh Hashana tefilla that incorporates a lot of
Sefardi piyuttim. Completely different prayers, tunes, flavor. But in
order to have an experience of "b'yachad" we do it.

2) What what exactly would change? Does one see more women in shuls that
have a maharat? Do the maharats come to Tuesday afternoon Mincha? If
they do they're behind the mechitza, yes? What changes are people
talking about?

Ben