[Avodah] Maharat

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jun 6 11:18:05 PDT 2017

(And also some "Re: [Avodah] L'sheim shmayim".)

On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 10:48am CDT, Noam Stadlan via Avodah wrote:
: R. Micha- please define Semicha as you understand it, or at least as you
: understand the OU panel as defining it.  Otherwise you are just using a
: nebulous term and claiming that it has meaning.

To me, "semichah" is a secondary concept. My focus was to assert whose
halachic decision-making can qualify as hora'ah. That question involves
semichah in the discussion.

We were discussing the Rama YD 242:14. The Mechaber writes in strong
terms that a higi'ah lehora'ah is obligated to actually provide
hora'ah. The Rama there adds that this is only if there is no barrier
of kevod harav -- his rebbe passed away, gave him semichah, is a
rebbe-chaver, or the like.

He doesn't make semichah a definition of magi'ah lehora'ah, but only a
removal of a barrier, a necessary condition in the usual circumstances.
Not a defining feature.

If we look at the Rama in se'ifim 5-6, he tells you he is basing himself
on the Mahariq (113.3, 117 [and the OU panel adds, cf 169). The Mahariq's
position is based on assuming that what was true for classical semichah
is still true for modern day semichah.

The Rambam (Sanhedrin 4:8) agrees with that comparison -- he derives
the need today for netilas reshus from Mosaic semichah.

IOW, who needs reshus for hora'ah? Someone who is magi'ah lehora'ah
and has kevoad harav issues in giving hora'ah without one. A magi'ah
lehora'ah can only be someone eligable to sit on a BD of [Mosaic]
musmachim (or according to the Rambam, other mumchim). Not because
"rabbi" is defined by "has semichah", but because "yoreh yoreh" or
Yesivat Maharat's "heter hora'ah lerabbim" declares someone to be a
hegi'ah lehorah.

I find the OU's argument compelling, fits the words of R/Prof SL's letter
and is probably his intent, and how I understood the sugyah in general
before the notion of an O woman as rabbi became a topic people would
seriously discuss.

I am interested to know if you asked R/D Novak which one of us understood
his intent. Did he mean to explain R/Prof SL's position or explain why
he differs with it in ways that makes Yeshivat Maharat an option?

Agreed that few rabbis pasqen, and that we could have female clergy
that avoid this first issue that I have even if a Maharat's semichah
read "Rabbah uManhigah" instead of "heter hora'ah lerabbim".

: The history of semicha is clear that there is no direct relationship
: between modern semicha(which more accurately should be termed neo-semichah
: to make it clear) and ancient semichah(for example, see here:
: http://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/semikhah
: So essentially you are taking a category of (disputed) restrictions that
: apply to beit din.  That type of beit din(kenasot) doesn't exist...

And yet the Rambam, Tosafos, the Mahariq and the Rama all think that
one continues enough of the other that we can draw conclusions across
that bridge.

It's not me doing the category taking, it's the Rambam and the SA. What
greater authorities do you need?

While on the topic of magi'ah lehorah...