[Avodah] Redemption

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jun 9 13:33:45 PDT 2017

On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 12:15:04PM +0300, Lisa Liel via Avodah wrote:
: >Perhaps the issur on taking revenge is, so to speak, a middos
: >chassidus but I think the simpler reading is that revenge is bad.

: Where is there any issur on taking revenge?  Against fellow Jews,
: yes, of course.  But generally?

"Revenge is bad" is not the same as "revenge is assur".

The lav of lo siqom is only on "chaveiro". The lav of lo sitor is on any
Jew. Compare Dei'os 7:7, and 7:8. I believe the Rambam holds that an
observant ben Noach, or maybe only those who are Geirei Toshav are
chaveirim. In which case, he would hold that only lo siqom would hold for
them, whereas only lo sitor would apply to a yisra'el chotei. But Shabbos
is coming, so I can't check about "chaveirim".

But in any case, the notion that
    hene'elavim ve'inam olevim
    shome'im cherpasam ve'einam mashivim,
    aleihem hakasuv omeir,
    "ve'ohavav ketzeir hashemesh bigvuraso"
(Shabbos 88b) has nothing to do with who the counterparty is. Not a
chiyuv or issur in and of itself. But the person who doesn't take
offense nor act on taking offense is among "ohavav".

Similarly, the Rambam (ibid) talks about lo siqom in terms of "ma'avir
al midosav al kol divrei ha'olam", not just offenses by chaveirim. This
appears to be included in his "dei'ah ra'ah hi ad me'od".

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             It isn't what you have, or who you are, or where
micha at aishdas.org        you are,  or what you are doing,  that makes you
http://www.aishdas.org   happy or unhappy. It's what you think about.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Dale Carnegie