[Avodah] Maharat

Noam Stadlan via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 7 16:58:57 PDT 2017

The point is that it wasn't set up that way, and Gedolim like the Chatam
Sofer write explicitly that it wasn't set up that way, and that saying that
modern semicha was set up to imitate ancient semicha(to such an extent that
the same prohibitions apply) is a distortion of history and Halachic
history.  Furthermore, what you are saying is not the explicit position of
the Rambam, Tosafot, and the Rama(I still haven't been able to find the
Mahariq), it is your understanding of those sources.  The Rama makes more
sense when read in the context of the quotes that I provided from the
Chatam Sofer et al.  The Rambam, could well be discussing ancient semicha
in the sources you describe........