[Avodah] Maharat

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 7 12:22:53 PDT 2017

On 6/7/2017 3:50 AM, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
 > All the while, a cloud hung over me, for going against his p'sak. I
 > will not attempt to describe how much guilt I felt over this. But I
 > *will* tell you that a year or two later, I traded that guilt for
 > disillusionment, when I learned that although we called him "Rabbi
 > Ploni", he was not a rabbi at all, never having received semicha.
 >
 > Perhaps I'm an extreme example, but that simply means that similar
 > things happen to other people too, just not to such an extreme extent.

I would agree that this is an extreme example. I don't know you so I
can't say anything about you in particular (not that I would anyway, not
on a forum) but I would expect a yeshiva guy who had been learning with
a teacher/rav for a year to take the teacher/rav's words much more
seriously than the average ba'al habayit. The first thing a ba'al
habayit would do is say "Well, I went to him for advice, not psak, so I
don't have to listen to him".

 >I think it safe to say that no one takes semikha at face value
 >as authority to pasken difficult halakhic questions on matters
 > of grave import.

I don't know what constitutes grave import - an abortion? learning
Biblical Criticism? Marrying someone of questionable yichus? Whether or
not a particular business maneuver constitutes fraud in the eyes of
halacha (or if it isn't but is illegal)? Accepting charity from
criminals?  Would the average MO Jew speak a rav and get his psak on
these issues? Or do people limit themselves to strict Orach Chayim
issues like eating on Yom Kippur? Are there issues that people will do
whatever the rabbi says and ignore what he has to say about other things
(obviously people ignore what rabbis have to say about a lot of issues,
but I mean a straight psak)?