[Avodah] Maharat

Sholom Simon via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 7 06:35:14 PDT 2017

>Lisa- thanks for the response. I think you have the question framed
>incorrectly. It isn't " we have to ordain women". It is, on what basis
>are we denying women the opportunity to serve God and their community
>in a way that they think is appropriate -- is there a Halachic reason to
>do so?"
>As they say, half the answer is in how one formulates the question
>(chazal and Tversky/Kahnemann) . The other side might rephrase as ",
>on what basis
>are we changing millennia old halachic mesorsa -- is there a
>Halachic reason to do so?"

But note: Sometimes the reason for changing is not straight halachic,
but the metizius (e.g., Sarah Schenirer , women's education), and we
ask: "is there a halachic reason to prevent this", no?

We learn from the Torah, that sometimes it just takes somebody to
ask/request it (with, presumably, a pure intent): e.g., Pesach Sheni
or Tzlophad's daughters.

-- Sholom