[Avodah] Another approach to Ruth's geirus

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 29 12:51:43 PDT 2017

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 10:26:55AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
:     . Whether Yiftach was a link in the chain through which the
: mesorah reached us is a machlokes, but lechol hade'os he was the
: "godol hador" -- that's an explicit gemara, "Yiftach Bedoro Kishmuel
: Bedoro".

The article in question cites Tanchuma (Bechuqosai #5) in describing
Yiftach, "shelo hayah ben Torah".

Is it possible that Yifrach bedoro has to do with our
obligation to follow their leadership, even though the gemara is ignoring
whether we are speaking of Torah of of civil leadership in doing so?

Yes, it's dachuq.

But I find the idea of talking about somoene being the hadol haor but
not part of the shalsheles hamesorah at least equally dachuq. I'm
not even sure what being a link means, if it doesn't necessarily include
the generation's gedolim.

I also do not share your assumption that there was /a/ gadol hador. I
think I know the roots of your having that assumption in Chabad theology,
but that doesn't mean I share it. However, given Chabad's linking HQBH
medaber mirokh gerono shel Moshe to Moshe bedoro keShmuel bedoro to yield
the notion that every generation has a Yechidah Kelalis, a single tzadiq
who is uniquely that generation's person in that role, I would think the
notion that Yiftach as that person but not one of the baton-passers of
mesorah to be even harder to fathom than within my own hashkafah.

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Malchus: What binds different
Fax: (270) 514-1507             people together into one cohesive whole?