[Avodah] candles and fire safety

Michael Poppers via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 10 13:24:41 PDT 2017

In Avodah V35n60, RJR responded to RZS, who had responded to RAMiller:
>>> When eating the evening seudah elsewhere than where you're sleeping,
consider lighting at the seudah location, so that they won't be
unattended. <<<
>> My mitzvah is to light my own home, not someone else's. <<
> The psak I receive many years ago is that you light where you sleep. One
concern was to make sure the candles would run long enough so they were
still burning when you came home so you could get benefit from them <
As RJR implies, I thought the key component of *neiros Shabbos* was
enjoying their light (in contradistinction to *neiros Chanukah*); and as I
learned as a kid every Pesach that my family was at a hotel (because my
parents didn't have Pesach cooking utensils, dishes, etc. in their
apartment), everyone lit in a common room (and then stayed a bit to get
enjoyment from the light) because lighting in one's room or in the hotel
dining room would have represented a fire hazard....

All the best from
*Michael Poppers* * Elizabeth, NJ, USA