[Avodah] Two days [was: kitniyot]

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun May 7 06:38:33 PDT 2017

On 07/05/17 06:46, Lisa Liel wrote:
> No, I'm pretty sure it was the 50th day.  The first day after our
> leaving Egypt corresponds to the first day of the Omer.  The 49th day
> after our leaving Egypt corresponds to the 49th day of the Omer.
> Shavuot is thus the 50th day after our leaving Egypt.

Everyone seems to assume we left on a Thursday.  The first day after we
left was a Friday, so the 49th day was a Thursday.  Mattan Torah was
definitely on a Shabbat, thus the 51st day.  There's no way out of that,
unless we adopt the Seder Olam's view that the gemara suddenly springs
on us at the end of the sugya that we left on a Friday.  Then it all
works perfectly, and as I read the gemara that seems to be the
conclusion, but I've never seen any later source even deal with this
view; everyone who mentions the day of the week on which we left Egypt
takes for granted (as the gemara did for most of the sugya) that it was
a Thursday.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all