[Avodah] Two days [was: kitniyot]

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 28 11:16:59 PDT 2017

From: Akiva Miller via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

>> But the bottom line is the  the Torah says Shavuos occurs 50 days after
Pesach. If you know Pesach, then  there is absolutely no uncertainty
about Shavuos. <<

Akiva  Miller

In the days when they kept two days Pesach because they didn't know  when
Rosh Chodesh had been, perhaps you can say that by the time Shavuos rolled
around, the messengers had arrived to tell them when Rosh Chodesh Nissan (and
 therefore when Pesach) had been so by then they knew for sure when Shavuos
 was.  But of course we still keep two days of Pesach until now, as  we've
been discussing, despite the fact that we no longer have a safeik about  the
date.

So your statement, "If you know Pesach, then there is absolutely no
uncertainty" is not really true or maybe is true but not relevant.  After  all,
didn't you start counting Sefira on your [second] Seder Night?  Was  that not
a stira -- counting sefira at the seder?  After all, we're  supposed to
start counting "mimacharas haShabbos" -- the day AFTER yom tov,  i.e., the first
day of chol hamo'ed.  So "fifty days after Pesach" turns  out itself to be
a slightly slippery concept.

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..