[Avodah] Carbonite

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 28 07:57:01 PDT 2017

On 28/04/17 01:03, via Avodah wrote:
> Is leaving a laptop on all Shabbos with Carbonite uploading more like
> [A] leaving your lights, fridge and air conditioning on all Shabbos
> or [B] leaving a TV or radio on -- dubiously muttar, definitely not
> Shabbosdik or [C] making your eved Canaani work for you all day Shabbos
> -- a no-no or [D] giving your clothes to the Greek dressmaker to fix and
> telling her you need them some time next week, and if she for her own
> convenience decides to do the work on Shabbos, that's copacetic?

It's A, shevisas keilim, which is a machlokes of Beis Shammai and Beis
Hillel.  The halacha of course follows Beis Hillel, that we are not
commanded on shevisas keiliim, so it's completely OK.

The problem with B is hashma`as kol, which is a species of mar'is
ho`ayin; passersby will hear the sound of work being done in your home
and will suspect you, if not of actual chilul shabbos, then at least of
amira lenochri.  It is muttar if there are no Jews within a techum shabbos.

C is of course completely out, mid'oraisa, even if the eved sets his own
schedule.  Avadim are obligated to keep Shabbos.

D is amira lenochri, which is completely muttar mid'oraisa, but the
chachamim forbade it lest you come to do melacha yourself.  Thus it's
muttar if the decision to do the work on Shabbos rather than during the
week is completely up to the nochri.

BTW you don't need to leave it to sometime next week; you can ask to
have it ready when the shop opens on Sunday morning, and it's up to the
cleaner whether to do it on Shabbos or to stay up all night motzei
shabbos to get it done. It's only assur if there are literally not
enough weekday hours between now and when you want it, so that the
nochri *must* do some of it on Shabbos.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all