[Avodah] Two days [was: kitniyot]

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 27 21:45:35 PDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:58:07PM -0400, Sholom Simon via Avodah wrote:
: Leading to an obvious question: did they say "zman matan toraseinu"
: when davening if Shavuos wasn't on zman matan toraseinu that year?

The explanation I like (eg from Maadanei Yom Tov) is that "zeman matan
Toraseinu" is not a date in Sivan, but a number of days after Yetzias
Mitzrayim or of the omer. Your question is based on the idea that "zeman"
is a time on the calendar, not a point in a process (be it redemption
or of omer).

The MYT I mentioned earlier explains why Matan Torah was on the 7th
whereas our Zeman Matan Toraseinu is on the 6th: He (the Tosafos Yom
Tov?) notes that omer is both tisperu 50 yom and sheva shabasos
temimos. It is 50 days or 7 x 7 = 49 days? So, uusually we think 49
days of omer, Shavuos is the 50th. The MYT says that 49 days of omer
and the first day of Pesach is the 0th.

Zeman Matan Toraseinu is thus after 50 days of process.

For our Pesach, that's day 1 of Pesach + 49 omer, yeilding Sivan 6th.

The first Pesach, though, Yetzi'as Mitzrayim was at midnight. So
the first full day, usable as day 0, was the 16th of Nissan. Shifting
everying off one day, so that process from physical ge'ulah to matan
Torah ended on 7 Sivan.

But whether you like that vertl or not, the idea that would answer your
question is just that "zeman" is not necessarily a date; just as Shabbos
is a time based on interval, not date.

micha at aishdas.org        2 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Tifferes: What type of discipline
Fax: (270) 514-1507                             does harmony promote?