[Avodah] Chol Moed Minyan for Those Who Wear Tefillen

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 26 13:29:27 PDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:03:43PM +0000, Joseph Kaplan via Avodah wrote:
:> implies that the members of the other subset are transgressing  halacha. This
:> makes the whole set, with its mutually contradictory  halachic subsets, look
:> bad from a Heavenly perspective, and potentially brings  down Heavenly judgment.

: Far be it for me to know what things look like from a Heavenly
: perspective. But let me suggest this. Heaven sees different people
: conscientiously following their family customs and davening together
: nonetheless in peace and harmony understanding that all are acting out
: of a love for Torah and, in the sense of shivim panim, not thinking that
: anyone is a transgressor. And Heaven kaviyachol says, mi keamcha Yisrael.

I think we've lost sight of the original topic.

Most posqim do rule that the guys wearing tefillin on ch"m should be in
a different minyan than those who don't. And barring that, compromises
evolved like hijacking the ezras nashim for the smaller group.

When I was a kid, we tefillin-wearers davened Shacharis in the basement,
joining the rest of the shteibl only for the latter part of davening.

We are therefore starting with data, the pesaq, and trying to figure
out what that means aggadically.

Not just blindly guessing about how things look in heaven. If things
are as you portray it, the original question is stronger -- what you
said doesn't resolve anything.

BTW, if I had to guess, it would depend on whether people are indeed
motivated by a consciencous following of family customs and the
perspective on Torah that comes with their subculture. And how much
is simple ethnic pride and the actual identification with Litvaks or
Hungarians or Yekkes, Mughrabi or Halbi than identification with the
Jewish People, or shomerei Torah umitzvos as self-identifications.

micha at aishdas.org        2 weeks and 1 day in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Chesed sheb'Tifferes: What is the Chesed in
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            harmony?