[Avodah] Chol Moed Minyan for Those Who Wear Tefillen

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Apr 23 00:03:46 PDT 2017

[1] From: "Prof. Levine via Avodah"  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

>> My understanding is that people  who wear Tefillen during Cho Moed are
not supposed to wear them in a minyan  where the custom is that no one
wears Tefillen.  I know that in a  couple of shuls near me they are
makpid that those who wear Tefillen and  those who do not do wear them
do not daven together until after the kedusha  of shachris when
Tefillen are taken off.  <<
YL

[2]  From: Allan Engel via Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

>>  Why would tefillin be any different to the various different  practises
about who does and doesn't wear a tallis? I have never heard of  a
non-tallis-wearing post-bar-mitzva boy being banished behind the  mechitza
at a yekkishe shul, or vice versa.  <<

The difference between the tallis-or-not issue and the tefillin-or-not
issue is that the former is in the realm of minhag while the latter is in the
realm of halacha.  People are not so makpid about differing minhagim in the
same shul, but differing piskei halacha in the same shul -- that is much
more  serious. When you have some men wearing tefillin and others not wearing
tefillin in the same minyan on chol hamoed, the presence of each subset
implies that the members of the other subset are transgressing  halacha. This
makes the whole set, with its mutually contradictory  halachic subsets, look
bad from a Heavenly perspective, and potentially brings  down Heavenly
judgment.

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..