[Avodah] Sefirot Ha`omer

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 14 01:12:15 PDT 2017

Lama li kra?  It seems pretty clear on the face of it.  Hesed
she'b'Gevura means that you're doing Hesed by means of Gevura.  Your
intended result is Hesed.  The way you're achieving that Hesed is by an
act of Gevura.  So let's take R' Aryeh Kaplan's understanding of the two
Middot, where Hesed means going above and beyond what is required, and
Gevura is restraining yourself, and here are a couple of examples.

You're at the grocery store, and there's one box of Wacky Macs left on
the shelf.  You see a mother with a bunch of her kids coming down the
aisle, and the kids are beginning for Wacky Macs.  So you don't take
it.  You're limiting yourself in order to do something nice (but not
required) for the mother.  That's Hesed she'b'Gevura.

You're at the grocery store, and you've taken the last box of Wacky
Macs.  You know you shouldn't eat it, because it's all starch and fat,
but you can't help it.  You're standing at the checkout line, and
there's a mother behind you whose kids are giving her a hard time
because they wanted Wacky Macs, but the store is out.  So you decide
that this will help you keep your diet, and you offer the mother the box
of Wacky Macs.  You're doing something nice (but not required) for the
mother in order to limit yourself.  That's Gevura she'b'Hesed.

It's a thin line, sometimes.  Figuring out what the actual action (or
inaction) is and what the purpose is.  Means and ends.

As far as Tiferet, while you can see it as a synthesis of Hesed and
Gevura, which is nice if you like the thesis-antithesis-synthesis
paradigm, it's really the point of balance between them.  Where you
aren't refraining and you aren't overdoing.  Another term for Tiferet is
Tzedek.  Meaning doing what you're supposed to do, or what you're
allowed to do: no more and no less.

I think that one of the reasons there aren't books that cite primary
sources about this is simply because there aren't any.  There are
primary sources about what the meaning of each of the Sefirot mean, but
the combination should be fairly clear.

That said, I know it isn't.  When I was a camper as a kid, we had
discussion groups about whether we were "Jewish Americans" or "American
Jews".  I was 12 the first time we did it, and it was a mess.  The next
time, I think I was 14 or 15, and I already realized what the problem
was, although the counselor leading the discussion didn't.  It's a
matter of definitions.  If you look at it in terms of language, one of
those words is the noun, and the other is the adjective.  The noun is
what you *are*.  The adjective just modifies it.  So "American Jew" is
putting being Jewish first, and "Jewish American" is putting being
American first.  But a lot of the other kids (and the counselor) were
looking at it from the point of view of which *word* came first in the
phrase.

And theoretically, I suppose, you could interpret X she'b'Y in the
opposite way from what I've described above, but I'm not sure there's a
real nafka mina, because we cover all the combinations. It just seems to
me that the first week, we deal with the concept of *doing* Hesed, with
all 7 possible intents, since these 7 Sefirot are fundamentally Sefirot
of action (and interaction), as opposed to the first three, which are
Sefirot of mind.  But can you say that the first week, we talk about the
concept of *intending* Hesed, with all 7 possible methods?  I suppose.
It's not the way I look at it, but absent primary sources to determine
which way is right, I suppose it's possible.

Shabbat Shalom and Moadim L'Simcha,
Lisa

On 4/13/2017 11:24 PM, Simon Montagu via Avodah wrote:
> Every year I would like to get deeper into the combinations of sefirot
> (or middot) that appear in siddurim with the counting of the Omer, and
> every year I get lost and confused. For example, what is the
> difference between hesed shebigevura and gevura shebehesed? If tiferet
> is a synthesis of hesed and gevura, how does it differ from either of
> the above? And so on and so on.
>
> There seem to be a thousand books and websites that explain the
> sefirot and their combinations in modern terms, but I haven't found
> any that quote or even cite primary sources. Where might one look for
> such sources?
>
> Mo`adim lesimha!

---