[Avodah] Sh'mini

Cantor Wolberg via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Apr 15 18:22:23 PDT 2017

One of the main areas this portion deals with is kashruth. There is an overriding concept in the laws of kashruth
that the characteristics of what we eat somehow have a great influence on the way we behave.
We do not want to associate ourselves with cruelty, therefore we are forbidden to eat cruel animals, and in this case certain fowl.
Among the fowl that are listed as being non kosher is the chasidah, the white stork. You may ask what cruel character trait does the stork possess.
Rashi mentions that the reason it is called a "chasidah" is because it does chesed  with its friends regarding the food it finds. On the surface this seems strange.
If the stork acts kindly with its food, why is it disqualified as being kosher?

A beautiful explanation to this difficulty has been given by the Chidushei Harim, a Chassidic 19th century Talmudic scholar, in which he explains the nature of the stork.
He says that the fact the stork only shows its kindness with its friends defines its cruelty.  A fowl who is not in the circle of the stork's good buddies is excluded from getting any help from the stork in finding food.
In other words, the stork is very selective in its kindness. This type of kindness is misleading.  We, as Jews, are commanded to help our foes.  If we come across someone we dislike intensely who needs help, we are commanded to help.
The stork, on the other hand, helps only his friends.  It is this character trait of differentiating between close friends and others when it comes to providing food that makes the stork non-kosher.

Chesed means reaching out altruistically, with love and generosity to all. The process of maturing involves developing our sense of caring for others. This is crucial for spiritual health. The Talmud likens someone who doesn't give to others as the "walking dead.”
A non-giving soul is malnourished and withered. It is only through unconditional love that our successful future will be built. In the words of King David (Psalm 89:3): Olam chesed yibaneh - "the world is built on kindness.”

May we live to see this kindness and care infused in all our lives.

Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Mark Twain