[Avodah] kitnoyot

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 6 05:06:29 PDT 2017

Let's begin with what we agree on: I think that every Shomer Mitzvos
understands the need for gezeros and minhagim, such as those that protect
people from accidentally using flour in a way that they mistakenly think is
acceptable on Pesach. The disagreements will be over how restrictive those
measures should be.

I wrote:
: So what new problem has arisen with "farfel, bread sticks etc"?
: Whatever arguments you have against them today existed 200
: years ago also, and they were rejected by communities that ate
: gebroks.

and R' Micha Berger responded:
> No, we didn't have factory kitchens making gebrochts bread sticks
> that seem exactly like real ones. (If not of your favorite brand.)
> This really is a recent development.

Are you suggesting that the frozen non-gebroks pancakes that I can buy in
the store today are a bigger problem than the matza meal pancakes that my
mother made at home?

I'm sorry, but I can't buy that. It is true that today's factory kitchens
allow an amazing variety of technologies and abilities, including products
that are almost indistinguishable from regular bread. But I maintain that
this does NOT translate to an increased chance that someone will mix flour
and water in their home kitchen, precisely because the factory and home are
so far apart - both geographically and sociologically.

If someone is enticed by the quality of a store-bought breadstick or pizza
slice, I cannot imagine that they would attempt to duplicate it at home
nowadays without a recipe. Seeing a breaded chicken cutlet at one's
neighbor's home *IS* something that you might duplicate in your own home,
and there is great danger there. But I just don't see that happening with
factory-made goods. Anyone who is awed by the quality will read the box to
figure out how they managed such a feat, and they will immediately see the
potato and tapioca listed. (But I am willing to listen to other arguments.)

My suspicion is that the anti-potato sentiments may have originated in the
non-gebroks sectors. Pesach pizza and pancakes are very new to them, and I
suppose I can understand their concern. But among those who have been
eating gebroks for generations, I just don't understand why these new
products bother them.

Akiva Miller

Virus-free.
www.avg.com