[Avodah] Jewish optimism [was: Shelach]

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 14 12:45:13 PDT 2017

From: Micha Berger via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>
: Judaism's preference of the  optimist over the pessimist is made clear
: not only by what the Torah has to  say on the subject of the spies
: but even more so by the first remark  attributed to the Creator upon
: His completion of the work of creation. "And  God saw all the He made,
: and behold it was very good..." (Gen. 1:31).   [--Cantor Wolberg]

RMB wrote:  >> ...But in any case, the  spies are an imperfect example,
because they had
G-d's promise that this  specific mission would succeed.

We don't have such reason to be  optimistic....

....Similarly, if someone wants to argue that the Torah wants us to  be
optimistic, don't we have to address what the Torah would tell a  Jew
living in Lodz in 1939? <<

Micha  Berger
micha at aishdas.org

I once heard a powerful and inspiring talk given by R' Joseph Friedenson
a'h.  He had survived a number of different concentration camps in hellish
circumstances, and had lost all or most of his family.  He said in his talk
that the last time he ever saw his father, his father said, "I don't know if
you  and I will survive this war, but no matter what happens, remember
this:  Klal Yisrael will survive!"

R' Friedenson said that he never saw his father again but he went through
the war with an unshakeable optimism.  That's what he called it,  optimism.
He underwent horrendous suffering, but nevertheless he had a  firm
conviction that the Nazis would ultimately fail.  He  always held onto his father's
words, "Klal Yisrael will survive."

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..