[Avodah] Chol Moed Minyan for Those Who Wear Tefillen

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 19 13:17:21 PDT 2017

I am moving this to Avodah.

>From: Ben Waxman via Areivim <areivim at lists.aishdas.org>
>To: Simon Montagu via Areivim <areivim at lists.aishdas.org>,      areivim
>         <areivim at aishdas.org>

>Why is this even an issue? Meaning, why is it such an issue that people
>with a different minhag are davening together*? Or is the issue that
>both sides feel that the other is doing an aveira**?
>
>*Sefardim and Ashkenazim wrap their teffilin differently. That factoid
>doesn't stop anyone from praying together.
>** Which brings up other issues.
>Ben

My understanding is that people who wear Tefillen during Cho Moed are
not supposed to wear them in a minyan where the custom is that no one
wears Tefillen.  I know that in a couple of shuls near me they are
makpid that those who wear Tefillen and those who do not do wear them
do not daven together until after the kedusha of shachris when
Tefillen are taken off.  In the Kivasikin minyan that I normally
daven with, those who were Tefillen are upstairs in what is normally
the ladies section.  After Kedusha of Shachris,  those upstairs join
those downstairs for a Hallel.

I have been told that in the Agudah in Baltimore those who wear
Tefillen are on one side of the mechitza and those who don't are on
the other side until after kedusha of shachris.

So,  apparently there is a problem with having a mix of Tefillen
wearers and non-wearers during Chol Moed.

YL