[Avodah] How to become a kohein

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 20 14:38:12 PDT 2017

From: Zev Sero via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

>> ....But avraham was *not*  past fathering children at 99.  He fathered 8
more
when he was in his  late 130s/early 140s, and there's no indication that
this was any kind of  miracle or surprise.<<<<

--
Zev  Sero
zev at sero.name

I have long surmised that Sarah giving birth at 90 was not as big a miracle
 then as it would be today, considering average life spans then.  It would
be more like a post-menopausal woman of, say, 60 years old giving birth
today.  Still old for a pregnancy and still a miracle of course, especially
considering that she had always been infertile even when she was young.

Nowadays it does occasionally happen that a woman of 60 gives birth, but
only with IVF.  It /is/ a little strange that Sarah said "My husband is  old"
and not "I am old."

One other thing in this connection that is strange is that Avimelech was
drawn to her beauty and wanted to take her into his harem -- when she was 90
years old!  Even if she was like a woman of 60  today she must have looked
much younger and she must have been really  very beautiful.

--Toby Katz
t613k at aol.com
..