[Avodah] Farfetched Ukimtas

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 20 10:12:09 PDT 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 11:02:42AM +0200, Marty Bluke wrote:
: Anyone who learns Gemara knows that many times the Gemara asks a question
: on an Amora from a Tannaic source and the Gemara asnswers the question by
: saying "hacha b'my askinan ...", saying that the Tannaic source was only
: talking about a specific case which doesn't contradict the Amora's
: statement. Sometimes the Gemara offers far fetched ukimtas where it is hard
: to believe that the Tannaic source really meant that...

In addition to my first reply...

I tried in other discussions in the past to establish that when the
gemara's description of the mishnah is a far streatch for the naive
read, the Rambam's tendency is to explain the gemara in light of what
the mishnah obviously meant, and Rashi (and Raavad, Ritva, Ran...) would
explain the mishnah in light of the gemara. IOW, the majority of rishonim
would say the gemara is saying the mishnah really meant that.

Perhaps by using an explanation like RMA's; RET's description of which
really appealed to me.