[Avodah] kavua/Rov

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 20 03:32:57 PDT 2017

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:56:15AM +1100, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
: Rov can only be applied where there is a TaAruvos, a mixture
: The minor part is lost and becomes insignificant
: Our Safek is really only a minor part of the issue

1- What about safeiq de'leisa leqaman? Isn't that more statistics than
any real group that could be called a mixture?

2- Bitul betaaroves and ruba de'isa leqaman differ in another way --
in the case of bitul, there is no parish. For example, if two liquids
mixed, the person is definitely eating something that once was assur,
just in ignorible quantities. In the case of saeif, we do not know
whether the kol deparish was the issur or not.

I see that RYGB blogged about R/Prof Aumann's Moral Hazard Theory,
adding R' Gedalia Nadel's shitah.
http://rygb.blogspot.com/2017/03/r-gedalia-nadels-explanation-of-kavua.html

Please do not rely on this summary, I am not swearing my translation is
accurate!

RGN too makes qavua vs parish a matter of how humans perceive the world.
In the case of 9 chaniyos (qavua), people are aware of the store that
sells issur. However, if it's just found in the street, people are merely
wondering about issur ("ein kan issur mevurar", to use the original
terminology..

A student asked if this is because of Kantian notions of the
phenomenological universe. (We can't really know what's out there, our
universe is really specific to how humans perceive and categorize things.)

RGN said one needn's rely on Kant. Mitzvos are to act on the soul of a
person and shape moral character. Therefore we only care about how the
people involved see the world, not how it is.

BARUKH SHKIVANTI! I've been saying this about safeiq, qavua, chazaqah,
terei uterei, invisible bugs, etc... longer than we've had this list!

RYBS adds (transliterations, mine):
> Today it struck me that, furthermore, there may well be some parallel
> between [samukh mi'uta lechazaqah ve'isra bei ruba] and [qavua]!

Micha Berger             I always give much away,
micha at aishdas.org        and so gather happiness instead of pleasure.
http://www.aishdas.org           -  Rachel Levin Varnhagen
Fax: (270) 514-1507