[Avodah] Will Purim Be The Only Yom Tov Left Standing After Moshiach Comes? Let's Take a Closer Look

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 13 14:54:55 PDT 2017

(Replies to two emails.)

On 3/13/2017 8:23 AM, Lisa Liel via Avodah wrote:
: I'm sure they did not.  Consider the mefarshim on "ratzui l'rov
: echav".  Surely had they recognized the events as extraordinary
: and miraculous, that "rov" would have been "kol".

Megillah 16b telles us that "echav" means his fellow members of Sanhedrin.
And we're likely talking of Anshei Keneses haGdolah. But in any case, I
think we can assume that among "echav", all saw the Yad Hashem. So
regardless of our origial discussion about how many of the Jews saved
realized the nissim involved, "ratzui lerov echav" has to be understood
as being despite knowing that Mordechai was the vehicle of a neis.

The gemara says this was because his fellow members of Sanhedrin
avoided him because of all the necessary bitul Torah which caused
him to fall behin. He was demoted from the 4th to 5th seat on the
Sanhedrin, and apparently some were wondering why he was still in
it altogether. That mi'ut no longer found him ratzui -- as a TC, no
judgment as a tzadiq. After all, lehalakhah while he was right to save
Kelal Yisrael despiute bitul Torah. (An individual's life is enough
to justify bitul Torah, after all.)

Even when the cost benefit analysis advises action, there is still that
pesky cost.

Chagiga 16b discusses a possibly similar case. Menachem who was supposed
to be av beis din, but he suddenly quit the Sanhedrin, and Shammai was
given the job.

Abayei says he went off the derekh.

Rava said he left to serve the king. The gemara adds he not only went
to servbe the king, but 80 students went with him, and all were dressed
in the levush malkhus.

Rava's version of this story would have the disapproval of Menachem to
parallel that of the mi'ut echav who didn't find Mordechai to be "ratzui".