[Avodah] Will Purim Be The Only Yom Tov Left Standing After Moshiach Comes? Let's Take a Closer Look

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 13 10:42:01 PDT 2017

On 3/13/2017 3:09 PM, Prof. Levine wrote:
 > I do not know where you get "four mitzvos were created by *three*
different people".   The mitzvos of Purim were instituted by Torah
authorities.  I would assume the Sanhedrin, if it was functioning at the
time.

Nope. Simple pashat in the verses:
Ester 9:19 Therefore do the Jews of the villages, that dwell in the
unwalled towns, make the fourteenth day of the month Adar a day of
gladness and feasting, and a good day, and of sending portions one to
another.

The Jews, the people came up with the party idea. Yes, Mordechai took
that idea (that the people themselves came up with) and added the following

22 the days wherein the Jews had rest from their enemies, and the month
which was turned unto them from sorrow to gladness, and from mourning
into a good day; that they should make them days of feasting and
gladness, and of sending portions one to another, and gifts to the poor.

Gifts to the poor was his addition. And of course, Ester said "Write me
for generations".

 > A party need not be a secular event if it is tied to torah values.
Is a bris or a Chassana a secular event? They have  some aspects of a
"party,"  but  if they are conducted according to halacha, they are not
secular events.

Irrelevant. A brit and a wedding may have a party attached to it but
one's brit milah and marital status are not affected by the lack of a
party.  Here the party is the mitzva.

 > To the best of my knowledge everyone sees the creation of the State
of Israel as an exceptional event, although not all consider it a plus.
While I am not a spokesman for Satmar,  I do not think that the Satmar
rebbe considered that the founding of the State of Israel "was only
politics,  tactics, strategy."  He felt that it was an exceptional event
that was not a plus.

Exceptional? I said "Divine".  Certainly many people deny any halachic
significance to the State.

 > Concerning Zionism I strongly recommend reading Zion or Zionism: Rav
Shimon Schwab

Read it one of the previous times you put it up. Didn't change my mind.
Thanks though.

 > Is it not true that all assertions are actually based to some extent
on belief.  How do I know that the world as I see it is the way it is in
realty?  Is this not belief?

You just proved my point - no one else sees the world the way you do so
there is no reason to assume that anyone else "believed" what you do
about the reality of God's involvement.