[Avodah] Cheftzei Shamayim

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Feb 7 18:38:40 PST 2017

On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 09:46:30PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: And although the Mechaber and Mah Yedidus both used the word "tinok", I
: can't imagine why this halacha would apply only to little children. If one
: must insure that his child can support himself, kal vachomer oneself, no?

As the old Yiddish saying went, my ruchnius includes my soul and your
stomach.

It's a mitzvah to address others' poverty -- an obvious example is
tzedaqah, dei machsero. But putting money aside for yourself to restore
your old lifestyle isn't tzedaqah.

Similarly, providing for our son's ability to someday make parnasah in
within my ruchnius in a way that preparing to make money myself does
not. And would it depend how many people are also being supported?

Specifying the "tinoq" in "vetinoq lelamdo seifer" may simply be the
clearest case of where there is a sufficient chetzei Shamayim aspect to
permit it on Shabbos.

Micha Berger             What we do for ourselves dies with us.
micha at aishdas.org        What we do for others and the world,
http://www.aishdas.org   remains and is immortal.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Albert Pine