[Avodah] Cheftzei Shamayim

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Feb 6 18:46:30 PST 2017

R' Ben Bradley (welcome!) asked:

> What is the 'l'lamdo sefer', immortalised in the zemer?
> Presumably some kind of limudei chol. ...
> But if it's means limmudei chol, do BH really mean that's
> cheftzei shamayim? And if it's limmudei chol, what kind of
> chol would that be for pre-barmitzva kids of chazal's time.
> Arithmetic? What else?

Yes indeed, "cheftzei shamayim" is exactly the logic used here - Mechaber
306:6.

Besides arithmetic, I suppose another example could be learning to read the
local language.

The Mechaber there (and, if you'd prfer something more recent, try Shmirat
Shabbat K'hilchata, at 29:56 in the 5770 edition, or 29:54 in the 5739
edition) says that this includes teaching a trade or craft, including
arranging for a tutor for one's child for these purposes, provided no wages
are specified.

And although the Mechaber and Mah Yedidus both used the word "tinok", I
can't imagine why this halacha would apply only to little children. If one
must insure that his child can support himself, kal vachomer oneself, no?

In modern practical terms, I suppose this would include inquiries about
choosing a school (for one's child or oneself). The point here is that
these discussions don't need to be restricted to the quality of the Jewish
education one would get there, but even the quality of their professional
education could be discussed on Shabbos.

Akiva Miller