[Avodah] Going to a Hotel for Shabbos/Yomtov

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jan 30 09:06:28 PST 2017

There is an additional point here: How exactly is someone expected to
get reliable information? Meaning, a person obtains a phone number of
someone who he knows not, calls him, asks him all sorts of questions and
is expected to believe him? Even if the guy sounds like he knows what he
is talking about, he is still a total stranger.

Why assume that an individual has better information than the kashrut
agency involved? In theory, he could tell you that the hotel doesn't use
Gush Katif vegetables (FYI: that term has become generic and has lost
much of its meaning). But if he were to say "Yes, we use Hasalat" why
would you believe him (unless you plan on going into the kitchen and
checking it out yourself)?

Conclusion: Find out who is giving the heksher and if it is good enough,
go enjoy yourself without a second thought.

Ben