[Avodah] Going to a Hotel for Shabbos/Yomtov

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jan 30 09:00:52 PST 2017

At 09:45 AM 1/30/2017, R Akiva Miller wrote:

>R' Yitzchok Levine posted:
>
> > The following is from http://tinyurl.com/h2fgx5x

> > To achieve the correct level of kashrus one must inquire if
> > the utensils are toiveled (ritual immersion in a mikve). While
> > there are heterim for this ...
> > One must check if the cooking is bishul yisrael or that of
> > a non-Jew. If they are lenient regarding ?bishul akum?, ...
> > One must ascertain if the greens are the special ?gush katif?
> > [insect free] type or do they make due with using regular
> > vegetables that are washed and inspected by a mashgiach. ...
>
>Upon reading this, my first reaction was to wonder: Why isn't it sufficient
>to determine who is responsible for the kashrus, and then ask my trusted
>rav whether that hashgacha is reliable for me? The only answer I can think
>of for that, is that perhaps my rav is unfamiliar with the hashgacha, so I
>need to help him by doing some research into these questions.

Kashrus Magazine's Kosher Supervision Guide for 2017 lists at least
330 hashgachas in Brooklyn alone. Worldwide it lists 1371
agencies!  See http://tinyurl.com/jxk2sg2  Do you think that any rov
can know what is going on with all of them or even with the majority
of them or even with a substantial minority of them?

Furthermore,  my personal experience is that many rabbonim are not
familiar with the details of the various hashgachas.  Even if the rov
recommends a certain agency he probably will not be able to supply
such details as what meat and poultry the agency approves of,  who
are the mashgichim on the spot,  etc.  And what if your standards are
different from those of the rov?  Suppose he considers heimishe
hashgachas to be reliable and you do not.

My experience is that the only way to get detailed, inside
information is to talk to someone in the field of
kashrus.  Unfortunately,  many of these people are reluctant to speak
about details.

>But this brings me to another question that I've had for a long time: Why
>aren't these answers already public knowledge? Why can't someone ask these
>questions to several hashgachos, and then publish the answers? Are there
>any libel risks? Are the hashgachos afraid to publicize their policies?
>Perhaps this has already been done?

If you look at the ads for many hotels,  restaurants,  carry
outs,  etc., you will see that many of them do not even list whose
hashgacha they have, and often, if they do,  one cannot make out the
hashgacha unless one has a magnifying glass.

Some catering halls in Brooklyn have a sign posted indicating who is
giving the supervision.  However,  most do not.

YL

YL