[Avodah] Praying for Miracles

Rich, Joel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jan 17 15:01:03 PST 2017

[RMR:]
> OCh 230
> 1- two illustrations both of prayers for past events.
> After hearing screaming emanating from the general area of one's home, then
> prays that it's not from his home.

> One who prays that his pregnant wife should deliver a baby boy.
> Rather one should pray for the future and give thanks for what has already
> happened.
> A traveler entering a dangerous village should pray for safety, and give
> thanks when he does arrive safely.

Question- why did the Mishna need to give 2 examples, is there a chiddush
in each?

As far as: It is proper to pray before measuring produce. But is this
not equivalent to praying AFTER hearing screams or AFTER the woman is
already pregnant

My take is that the prayer by the produce is like the bracha of mvarech
hashanim -- not for more crop but more satisfaction from what we have

Kt
Joel Rich