[Avodah] Praying for Miracles

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jan 16 18:26:30 PST 2017

[Moving this conversation over from Areivim. -micha]

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 02:08:08AM +0000, Jay F. Shachter via Areivim wrote:
:> In reality, bederech hateva there is no solution to the Arab
:> Problem.

: Really? ... You don't think that that is something that can happen
: bderekh hatteva`?  Then you are not allowed to pray for a solution to
: the Arab Problem, because you are not allowed to pray for something
: that cannot happen bderekh hatteva`.

do we not pray for rain even when there is no reason to think that the
drought will break?
on the contrary we see it as HKBHs message to us that we need to repent and
improve -- probably the main purpose of prayer

However, Tefillas Shav
praying after becoming aware of a problem is not just a waste of time, it
is prohibited. One must suppose Shav means KeVayochol, it is a waste of
HKBH's time or perhaps a waste of the supplicants energy.

OCh 230
1- two illustrations both of prayers for past events.
After hearing screaming emanating from the general area of one's home, then
prays that it's not from his home.

One who prays that his pregnant wife should deliver a baby boy.
Rather one should pray for the future and give thanks for what has already
happened.
A traveler entering a dangerous village should pray for safety, and give
thanks when he does arrive safely.

2- A farmer about to measure his produce should pray, "May it be Your
will HaShem, my God, that You send a blessing upon this pile,"
during the measuring process he is to say, "Blessed is He Who sends
blessing to this pile."
It is prohibited, Tefilas Shav, to measure first and then pray, since
"blessing is to be found only in that which remains hidden from the eye."

3- Upon engaging in everyday activities in which there is a well
recognised danger [like driving?] one should say, "May it be Your will
HaShem, my God, that You bring me in in peace and bring me out in peace,
and spare me from this fire and similar things in the future."
At the safe conclusion one says, "I thank You HaShem, my God, for having
spared me."

4- Before a medical intervention one should say, "May it be Your will
HaShem, my God, that this activity should be therapeutic for me, for You
are a free Healer."
At the safe conclusion one should say, "Blessed is the Healer of the sick."

5- One should always be accustomed to say, "All that the Merciful One
does, He does for the good."

It is proper to pray before measuring produce. But is this not equivalent
to praying AFTER hearing screams or AFTER the woman is already pregnant?

Perhaps this is addressed by, "Blessing is found exclusively in those
things that remain hidden from view."
does this mean from the view of the supplicant or from all people?
the scream from the street in which one lives is also Hidden from view of
the supplicant but probably not from others.

But no one knows the gender of the foetus in a pregnant woman -- so why is
that Shav?

can anyone suggest why the Gemara/Mechaber list all these illustrations

Best,
Meir G. Rabi