[Avodah] The challenge of Torah U' Madda for our time

Rich, Joel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jan 9 05:42:24 PST 2017

An article by Rebbetzin Dr. Rivka Press Schwartz.  Interesting thought and
critiques on MO. As an administrator for a MO High School, I think she is
going to have a large impact.

A one line summary - Time to move beyond Brisk and Rav J.B. Soloveitchik.
I didn't really find much new  in this piece.  What I always  understood the basic Brisk position to be was that the halachic process has its own reality which may differ from what is otherwise considered reality. This is true of legal systems in general. The article basically argues for a different approach grounded in current perceptions of how to define reality.  To me the more interesting question is how  will the overarching question be decided, and who will do so. (My answer -a delicate dance between the rabbinate and the laity, in a not fully transparent or conscious manner)
KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.