[Avodah] Davening at the Kosel (was Need for a Mehitza)

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jan 9 02:10:22 PST 2017

At 05:31 PM 1/8/2017, Harry Maryles wrote:
>You will note that Me'ikar hadin there is no
>prohibition to Daven without a partition. The
>custom in hotels during weddings that I
>mentioned in my prior comment was based on
>comment made by Rabbi Dovid Zucker RK of the CCK. I didn't make it up.
>
>HM
Let me raise another issue about davening at the
Kosel,  namely,  the fact that the entire Kosel
Plaza is outside.  (I know that there are places
on the side that are inside where people also daven.)

 From http://dinonline.org/2012/07/11/davening-outdoors/

Is it problematic to daven outdoors?
Thanks.

Answer:

One should not daven in an open area outdoors,
and should daven in a closed building, or a sheltered area.

Sources:

The Gemara (Berachos 34b) writes that it is wrong
(arrogant ­ chatzuf) to daven in an open field.

Rashi explains that in an open field, one doesn’t
feel fear of the King, and one doesn’t pray with
a broken heart. Tosafos, however, understands
that the concern is for passers-by, who are
liable to disturb a person’s davening.

The Magen Avraham (90:6) rules that the problem
is that davening outside makes a haughty
statement: “Even though there are passers-by,
they will not disturb my intent in davening!” This is arrogant and wrong.

The Shulchan Aruch (90:5) rules that one should
not daven in an open place, and the Mishnah
Berurah (11) adds that those who are always
travelling should can daven in an open place, but
should try to daven by a tree.

Therefore, although it is not forbidden to daven
outdoors, it is wrong to daven in an open area,
and one should seek a sheltered place.

Presumably there are explanations regarding why
the Kosel Plaza is not considered davening
outdoors.  I would be interested in hearing them.

YL