[Avodah] The Many Facets of Asarah B'Teves

elazar teitz via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jan 6 10:08:41 PST 2017

RYLevine quoted "Insights into Halacha:"
<<For example, exclusive to this fast is that it is the only one that
we do actually observe as a fast on a Friday. Even Tisha B?Av, which
commemorates the  actual destructions of our Batei HaMikdash, gets
pushed off.>>

RZSero responded:

<Not true.  We never push off a fast because it's on a Friday (except Yom
Kippur).  It's just that none of the other major fasts ever happen to
fall on a Friday.   If they did, there is no question at all that we
would fast.  Minor fasts, such as the fasts observed by the Chevraya
Kadishaya, *can* fall on Friday, and when they do they are completed.>

     Another fast that can fall out on Friday, and is then observed on that
day, is Ta'anis B'chorim on erev Pesach (though few actually fast, because
of attending a s'udas mitzvah).

     It should be noted, though, that there* is* an avoidance of Friday
fasting.  When a  fast falls out on Shabbos but cannot be observed on
Sunday (Ta'anis Esther and Ta'anis B'chorim), it is pushed back to Thursday
rather than Friday.
EMT