[Avodah] Tichleh Regel Min Hashuk

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jan 3 08:41:58 PST 2017

On Sun, Jan 01, 2017 at 11:25:21AM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: >Unless, of course, the people we're talking about aren't Jewish. Over
: >the years, I've heard some suggest that the main target audience for
: >this pirsumei nisa is the non-Jews (especially among those who light
: >outside). This would seems to support that view.
:
: The sof zman is when the Tarmuda'im go home.  So the pirsumei nisa
: is to them.

Or perhaps only "at least to them".

But we don't know how to translate tarmudai. (Shabbos 21b)

The Rif (Rif-daf 9): Tarmuda'im are *Jews* who collect tarmuda wood.

Rashi: Tarmuda'i is a *non-Jewish* ethnic group known for collecting
thin wood. They would sell in the late evenings to those who ran out
of the wood they were planning on burning.

R Moshe Shternbuch (Moadim uZemanim #141): Rashi is referring to
pirsumei nisa to the Jewish customers who would be out as long
as the Tamuda'im are available to shop from. Lehlakhah, Rashi
holds like the Rif.

RSYE (Sheves Yitzchaq, Chanukah ch. 4): Since retailers tend to say later
than their curomers, pirsumei nisa to Jews would end some time before the
Tarmuda'im go home. (C.f. also Taamei deQra, after parashas VaYeishev;
R' Chaim Kanievsky says similarly.) Rashi is talking about pirsumei nisa
to non-Jews.

H/T R Yair Hoffman for the machloqes about how to understand Rashi.

Micha Berger             None of us will leave this place alive.
micha at aishdas.org        All that is left to us is
http://www.aishdas.org   to be as human as possible while we are here.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Anonymous MD, while a Nazi prisoner