[Avodah] Why Hashem Wants Precision

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Mar 7 17:41:38 PST 2017

Here's Mosaic e-Zine's snippet from R Jonathan Sacks' essay for parashas
Terumah 5777 "The Architecture of Holiness"
<http://rabbisacks.org/architecture-holiness-terumah-5777>:

    Torah commentators... have drawn attention to the way the terminology
    of the construction of the Tabernacle is the same as that used to
    describe God's creation of the universe. The Tabernacle was, in other
    words, a micro-cosmos, a symbolic reminder of the world God made. The
    fact that the divine presence rested within it was not meant to
    suggest that God is here [rather than somewhere else]. It was meant
    to signal, powerfully and palpably, that God exists throughout the
    cosmos. It was a man-made structure to mirror and focus attention
    on the divinely-created universe. It was in space what Shabbat is
    in time: a reminder of creation.

    The dimensions of the universe are precise, mathematically exact. [For
    instance], the universe is shaped by six mathematical constants
    which, had they varied by a millionth or trillionth degree, would
    have resulted in no universe or at least no life... Precision
    matters. Order matters. The misplacement of even a few of the
    3.1-billion letters in the human genome can lead to devastating
    genetic conditions.... That is the message the Tabernacle was intended
    to convey.

    God creates order in the natural universe. We are charged with
    creating order in the human universe. That means painstaking care
    in what we say, what we do, and what we must restrain ourselves from
    doing. There is a precise choreography to the moral and spiritual life
    as there is a precise architecture to the Tabernacle. Being good,
    specifically being holy, is not a matter of acting as the spirit
    moves us. It is a matter of aligning ourselves with the Will that
    made the world.

Is the idea here precision for the sake of seder itself, or that --
like the creation of the universe and the 6 Physical Constants --
details matter in the mechniacs of things?

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l