[Avodah] 10 tribes

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Dec 25 16:03:08 PST 2016

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 12:19:08AM -0500, Michael Poppers via Avodah wrote:
: In Avodah V34n162, R'Micha noted to R'Zev:
:> It is noted that "Shi[m]'on veLevi achim", and neither got their own
:> territory.

: So, to go back to R'Eli's question, the two "southern" *shvatim* [w/ a
: distinct *nachalah*] are Y'hudah and Binyamin; and the 10 vs. 2 count is
: based on distinct *nachalah*.

Whether we count Shim'in among Malkhus Yehudah or not as a shevet
at all, we do not have 10 shevatim left for Malkhus Yisrael.

12 brothers, minus Yosef, plus Ephraim & Menasheh = 13
Minus Levi & Shim'on would leave 11 disinct nachalos.
Meaning, Yehudah and Binyamin in the south, and only 9 shevatim in
the north.

(Personally, I like the resolutions I already posted, that either
1- Shim'on eventually does move north in David's day and fall along with
the rest of Malkhus Yisrael, or
2- Sancheirev does make inroads into western Malkhus Yehudah, it is
possible Shim'on was lost then.)

Micha Berger             Live as if you were living already for the
micha at aishdas.org        second time and as if you had acted the first
http://www.aishdas.org   time as wrongly as you are about to act now!
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Victor Frankl, Man's search for Meaning