[Avodah] Why do many people say “Bli Neder” (without making a vow) whenever they say they will donate money to tzedakah?

Professor L. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Dec 20 06:03:15 PST 2016

>From today's OU Halacha Yomis

Q.  Why do many people say “Bli Neder” (without making a vow) whenever they say they will donate money to tzedakah?

A.  There is a Biblical requirement to fulfill one’s vow, as detailed in the beginning of Parashas Mattos (Bemidbar 30:3).  Ordinarily, to be considered a vow a person must explicitly say, “I swear (or vow) to do such and such.”  However, if a person pledges to do a mitzvah, it is considered a vow even if the person did not use the phrase “I swear.”  Similarly, if a person performed a good deed three times, it attains the status of a vow.  Because of the risk inherent in not fulfilling a vow, the Shulchan Aruch (YD 203:4) recommends adding the words “Bli Neder” (without making a neder) whenever one pledges to give tzedakah.  Even when adding Bli Neder, the pledge should be fulfilled in any event.  Nonetheless, if one inadvertently forgot to give the tzedakah, a vow is not violated if one said Bli Neder.?