[Avodah] Yom Kippur Thought

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Dec 21 03:32:34 PST 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:18:51PM -0500, Moshe Yehuda Gluck via Avodah wrote:
: Besides everything everyone else said, there's a fundamental difference
: between a bad thought and a bad action - when we have a bad action, we did
: it, we can repent. But a bad thought can still lead to a bad action - so the
: "potential energy" of the bad thought is worse than the bad action.

Isn't this caused by a more fundamental difference?

Teshuvah for a bad action is teshuvah for something in the past.

Teshuvah for a bad de'iah (thought, middah, whatever) is for smething
that is still in your head, in the present. And the teshuvah is doing
something material to get rid of it.

Micha Berger             The true measure of a man
micha at aishdas.org        is how he treats someone
http://www.aishdas.org   who can do him absolutely no good.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Samuel Johnson