[Avodah] 10 tribes

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Dec 19 17:47:04 PST 2016

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 04:53:52PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: Who says Shim`on was absorbed into Yehuda and remained in the south?

Yehoshua pereq 19.

According to the Ralbag, the use of "yeser ha'am" in Melakhim I 12:23
when describing Yehudah and Binyamin it refers to Shim'on.

Divrei haYamim I 4:31-43 seems to have them moving out in David
haMelekh's day. To places like Gedor and Har Sei'ir in Edom --
not the north.

Shalesheles haQabalah says that Sancheirev's inroads into Malkhus
Yehudah succeeded in dislocating Shim'on. Or perhaps, those of Shim'on
who remained.

This requires assuming that Shim'on's cities were on the border
of Yehudah, not in the middle. Which would fit if their nachalah
was originally supposed to be Azza / Eretz Pelishtim, and they
never conquered it.

It is noted that "Shi'on veLevi achim", and neither got their own
territory.

Micha Berger             Our greatest fear is not that we're inadequate,
micha at aishdas.org        Our greatest fear is that we're powerful
http://www.aishdas.org   beyond measure
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Anonymous