[Avodah] 10 tribes

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Dec 19 13:53:52 PST 2016

On 19/12/16 14:00, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
> we traditionally mention the 10 northern tribes versus the 2 southern
> tribes (based on pesukim to Yaravam).
>
> However, there were 3 tribes in the south Yehuda, Shimon (absorbed in
> Yehudah) and Binyamin.

Who says Shim`on was absorbed into Yehuda and remained in the south?  On
the contrary, it seems clear that Shim`on was one of the rebel tribes
that went with Yerov`om.   For instance DH2 15:9 tells of defectors from
Efrayim, Menashe, and Shim`on.   Also Ya`acov said that Shim`on would be
spread out among the other tribes, so most of it would have been in the
north.

--
Zev Sero                Winter has officially begun
zev at sero.name