[Avodah] Borrer Brewing Coffee Shabbos

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Dec 8 18:14:08 PST 2016

R' Micha Berger wrote:

> According to the Kaf haChaim (319:113), if the leaves haven't settled
> to the bottom or if there isn't much tea left, then it's boreir. Even
> though okhel mitokh pesoles. (RAM already noted the latter about
> boreir bekeli, although he believes these cases are really meraqeid.)

To clarify: I am NOT claiming that "Posek ABC says that the problem is
Borer but I say that the problem is M'raked." Rather, my claim is that when
the posek says that the problem is Borer, then he is merely being
imprecise, and the truth is that the posek himself actually means that the
problem is M'raked.

This is not much different than when a posek says that it is assur to get
married during Sefira. What he really means is that there is a very strong
minhag not to get married during sefira, not that the Sanhedrin legislated
against it.

> According to SSK (3 fn 125), RSZA is also meiqil. He argues that
> akhila le'alter is also derekh akhiah, and allowed. Other examples:
> using a saltshaker that has dry rice in it, putting a spoon against
> the edge of soup-pot to make an ad-hoc strainer when pouring.

Yes, I must admit that he does say that. But please look at footnote 179,
just a few pages later. The SSK quotes RSZA as forbidding rice in the
saltshaker, and then he concedes difficulty reconciling this with the
footnote 125 that you cited.

Akiva Miller