[Avodah] The Beracha on Matzo

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Nov 25 07:31:02 PST 2016

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 08:17:05PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: The case

of Sepharadim making hamotzi on Matzah only during Pesach

:          itself is not the evidence I'm looking for, because I haven't seen
: anything in print to support the practice. Your report of what people *do*
: might be accurate, but I want to know if they are correct.

Yehave Da'at 1:91, 3:12
Yaskil Avdei 6:18, 8:5, 8:52

ROY cites Besamim Rosh and the Chida

Besamim Rosh's attribution to the Rosh is likely false. Most academics
agree that the first publisher, and commentary writer -- R' Shauil
Lieberman (18th cent Brerlin) -- was the real author. R' Ze'eav Wolf
posted an argument against it the same your as besamim Rosh was published.
Still, ROY gives it significant credance.

(More on Besamim Rosh at
http://seforim.blogspot.com/2005/10/besamim-rosh.html )

And none of that touches his citation of the Chida. Or on ROY's own
reasoning. He is uncomfortable with making a mezonos on matzah during
the year, leaving it as a maqor to rely on for those who follow this
minhag, but better to eat matzah during the year only in a meal that
also has bread.

BUT, the Chida does answer one question I had along the way... Sepharadim
only have this problem with crispy matzah. Soft matzah is hamotzi
year-round.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             I have great faith in optimism as a philosophy,
micha at aishdas.org        if only because it offers us the opportunity of
http://www.aishdas.org   self-fulfilling prophecy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Arthur C. Clarke