[Avodah] Borrer Brewing Coffee Shabbos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Nov 25 08:08:01 PST 2016

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 04:48:57PM +1100, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
: Depressing the plunger when making coffee only presents a problem if it
: squeezes the liquid out of the dregs, otherwise it's equivalent to removing
: a tea bag.

That was what I came in aguing: Step 1, pushing the plunger down,
wouldn't be boreir when making tea because any french press designed
for coffee which requires much more volume of grounds than we would need
for tea leaves) would not have a plunger that goes so far as to squish
the water out of the tea leaves.

I took this so for granted, I only thought of the filtering in step 2,
when you pour the water out, when considering the chance of boreir.
But them we're separating okhel mitokh pesoles, a topic I will return
to below, in response to RMP's contribution.

But I do see RAM's tzad about step 1 as well. Here there is no teabag
about which to argue the teabag is big and its presence in water is not
a taaroves. Moving the plunger pushes tea tea out of an ever-growing
percentage of the liquid -- a different thing entirely. More like moving
all your peas to one side of your peas-and-carrots, so that you could
eat your carrots plain. Which is indeed boreir from the side you are
eating from, no?