[Avodah] Borrer Brewing Coffee Shabbos

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Nov 15 21:48:57 PST 2016

Borrer is not getting the mixture to be separated, there are ways to
separate without transgressing.

Borrer is the process of separation, of sorting through the mixture to
identify and remove the unwanted.

A Pullke, a drumstick, lost in a large pot of Cholent, poses a Borrer issue
because we need to sort through the Cholent in order to locate it.
If it is at the top of the Cholent, there's no problem.

If we've tied a string to it, and the end the string hangs outside the pot,
we may remove the Pullke by pulling the string.

Similarly a tea bag may be removed from a tea cup with the string in the
normal everyday manner. There's no Borrer because there is no mixture. The
only mixture is the liquid that remains in the leaves inside the bag, which
prevents us from squeezing the bag.

Depressing the plunger when making coffee only presents a problem if it
squeezes the liquid out of the dregs, otherwise it's equivalent to removing
a tea bag.