[Avodah] Brewing coffee on Shabbos

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Nov 15 16:42:04 PST 2016

Regarding a French Press, I wrote:

: There is a two-step process here. I concede that in the second step,
: you "pour okhel mitokh pesoles", just as if you had waited for the
: grounds to settle to the bottom. But the first step, when you "push the
: grounds down to the bottom", that is (at least to me) a clear act of
: removing the pesoles from the ochel.

And R' Micha Berger responded:

> The difference is that with the press as far down as it goes, there is
> a lot of drinkable tea still beneath it. The leaves only take up a miut
> of the space. (At least, on my bodum press. Perhaps other presses let
> the filter go all the way to the bottom, if you push far enough. So
> let's just say you don't.)
>
> In the case I was discussing, I don't think the first step would be
> boreir.

Are you saying that this is muttar simply because you don't push it all the
way down? That because the leaves are still mixed into some of the tea, it
is okay that you have isolated clear tea above the filter?

If that were so, then I would be allowed to remove the peas from the north
side of my peas-and-carrots, because they are still mixed on the south
side. But no! Since the north side has been improved by the removal of the
psoles, this is borer.

I also see similarity to the case of a salt shaker that has rice in it to
absorb the moisture. Just because the rice and salt remain mixed inside,
that doesn't make it okay to shake pure salt through the tiny holes in the
cover.

Akiva Miller