[Avodah] The Beracha on Matzo

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Nov 9 11:36:53 PST 2016

On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 06:21:47AM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
:> since matzo is the bread on those days. (??????? ??????? ????, 29)

: I would like to request that the chevreh pay more attention to the language
: that they are posting in. Hebrew is usually messed up in these emails, and
: I have no idea what source they were referencing. Please try to include a
: transliteration.

Administative note (skip down if you just want real content):

I have a recommendation.... The problem is with the digest part of the
email software in particular. There are two ways to avoid it, and we could
make this list fully bilingual, at least for everyone but users of older
email readers.

1- You could go to single email mode. Combined with a rule in your email
client that moves emails from Avodah to its own folder, it's no less
convenient than a digest -- and gets you the emails sooner.

2- Switch to MIME digest mode, where each individual email comes in as
an attachment. Most email readers will display attached emails as part
of the original. If you want, I can help you test your own reader
before trying.

If you get the email as-is, not flattened to plain text, the Hebrew
would come through as-is as well.

: I question the whole logic of "since matzo is the bread on those days." Are
: the definitions of Pas Habaah B'Kisnin so flexible that they would vary
: from one part of the year to another? I do not see evidence of this
: flexibility.

Isn't this case itself the evidence your looking for?

Sepharadim appear to say that it is context sensitive, like depending
on the part of the year. Whereas Ashenazim *might* well hold that being
used like bread part of the year means it is used like bread, full-stop.

But I see what you're saying, it tends to differ by function. Like bagel
chips. If they were made to be bagels and only toasted after baking,
they're bread. If they were made for the sole purpose of chip manufacture
-- pas haba bekisnin.

Wouldn't the same line of reasoning then have Sepahradim making a
distinction not between Pesach and the rest of the year, but between
matzos made for Pesach and thus to be used like bread, and those made
for the rest of the year? So why wouldn't Sepharadim make a hamotzi
on leftover KLP matzah?

(About matzos and labeling, Tam Tams TM are a real-life example.)

Micha Berger             It isn't what you have, or who you are, or where
micha at aishdas.org        you are,  or what you are doing,  that makes you
http://www.aishdas.org   happy or unhappy. It's what you think about.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Dale Carnegie