[Avodah] Questions about Krias Ha Torah

Moshe Yehuda Gluck via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Nov 6 07:27:43 PST 2016

R' YL:
> 1. What was the schedule for Krias Hatorah both before and during
> the first Bais Mikdash?

> 2.  According to one source I have,  Krias Ha Torah during the time of the
> Tannaim followed the yearly cycle,  but changed during the time of the
> Amoraim to a triennial cycle.   Is this true and why did this change take
> place?

> 3. When Jews returned to EY in numbers they opted for the yearly cycle.  Why
> didn't the return to the triennial cycle?

Of interest regarding the above:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triennial_cycle

I used to learn in an "out-of-town" kollel, and we would get random
questions from people who found our number in the phone book. Once someone
called and asked what parashah a specific week would be in the triennial
cycle. That was the first I found out about the Conservative/Reform
practice of a triennial cycle.

KT,
MYG