[Avodah] Questions about Krias Ha Torah

Professor L. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Nov 5 18:05:33 PDT 2016

I know that at one time Krias Ha Torah in EY followed a triennial cycle. This was during the Bayis Sheni.  Some congregations apparently completed the reading of the Torah in 3 years whereas others took 3 and half years.

In Bavel a yearly cycle was followed as we do today.

Some questions that I would like answers to:

1.  What was the schedule for Krias Hatorah both before and during the first Bais Mikdash?

2.  According to one source I have,  Krias Ha Torah during the time of the Tannaim followed the yearly cycle,  but changed during the time of the Amoraim to a triennial cycle.   Is this true and why did this change take place?

3. When Jews returned to EY in numbers they opted for the yearly cycle.  Why didn't the return to the triennial cycle?

YL