[Avodah] Geshem or Gashem?!

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Nov 5 16:50:04 PDT 2016

On Sat, Nov 05, 2016 at 07:39:44PM +0200, David and Esther Bannett via Avodah wrote:
: What has long bothered me is something else.  Why do the "corrected"
: siddurim who have geshem also have morid hatal with tal in the pausal
: form with a kamatz rather than the non-pausal form, with a patach, as in
: tal umatar?
:
: I once saw or heard an explanation but, as it involved mysticism which
: is not something I go for...

Morid hatal could be taken as a reference to the tal shel techiyah. See
Chagiga 12b, where R Yehudah quotes Rav that it's stored at the highest
raqia', called Aravos. The dea that this is the tal we're talking about
here is in Yerushalmi Berakhos 5:2 (vilna 38b), part of which is repeated
in Taanis 1:1 (2a).

In which case, "morid hageshem" is asking for rain, and is just part of
the list. Whereas morid hatal has a subtext of being part of "mechayeh
meisim Ata rav lehoshia morid hatal" shel techiyah.

In any case, while it might be mystical, since it's in the Y-mi and
consistent with the Bavli, the idea has impeccable halachic heritage.

Gut Voch!

Micha Berger             "As long as the candle is still burning,
micha at aishdas.org        it is still possible to accomplish and to
http://www.aishdas.org   mend."
Fax: (270) 514-1507          - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter